The source for Buddhist information
- The official encyclopedia of The Dhamma website, a Buddhist encyclopedia. All traditions are welcome, but this encyclopedia primarily focuses on the foundation teachings of early Buddhism, i.e., Theravada. Anyone may suggest an article. E-mail david(at)TheDhamma(dot)com for any ideas you have for an article and it will be reviewed and may be added. All articles must first be e-mailed to avoid automatic bot vandalism (which has occurred in the past).
Dhamma Wiki is the largest Theravada Buddhist encyclopedia.
10,522 articles so far and counting.
New to learning, studying about Buddhism? Start with: The Four Noble Truths or The Noble Eightfold Middle Path or the Introduction to Buddhism category below. Or if you already know the basics, browse the categories below, do a search, or see the most popular pages.
Looking for interesting Buddhist facts and stats? See: List of Buddhist Records and Trivia
Featured and / or recent articles
- Click on the Temples category below and you can navigate to find a temple by continent, country, and in some cases to state or city.
- Click on the Pali Canon category below and you can navigate through large parts of the Tipitaka, the earliest religious writings of Buddhism.
- The appeal of Buddhism
- Rational teachings of Buddha
- Misconceptions about Buddhism
- The Anjali gesture shown to the right has become increasingly popular among people from all nations and probably originated around the time of the Buddha
Browse the encyclopedia
Type a topic in the search box.
Or see the most popular pages in the encyclopedia at this time. Listed below are the categories to browse.
To discuss any of the articles, go to the Dhamma discussion forum, sister website of The Dhamma Encyclopedia at: DhammaWheel.com.