5 kinds of joy
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Five kinds of joy:
1. Minor joy, which can raise the hair on the body when thrilled.
2. Momentary joy, which is flashing like lightning at various occasions.
3. Showering joy, which breaks over the body repeatedly like sea-waves.
4. Uplifting joy, which can be strong enough to even levitate the body.
5. Pervading joy, which is like a heavy sponge all saturated with water.
(from Visuddhimagga IV 94-9)
- The Complete Book of Buddha's Lists -- Explained. David N. Snyder, Ph.D., 2006.