5 thieves in regard to monks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Five thieves in regard to monks:
1. A monk who encourages rich people to join the Order under him, so that he may possess much wealth for his own temple.
2. A monk untruthfully blames a spiritually advanced monk of a transgression.
3. A monk favors the rich householders who give much to his temple, while ignoring others of less wealth.
4. A monk who untruthfully boasts of spiritual attainments for the sake of acquiring delicious and good alms food.
5. A monk who untruthfully boasts of spiritual attainments for the sake of acquiring funds.
(from the Vinaya, Suttavibhanga 3.88-89)
- The Complete Book of Buddha's Lists -- Explained. David N. Snyder, Ph.D., 2006.