6 ways to prevent sense desires
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Six ways to prevent sense desires:
1. Learning how to meditate on ugly and disgusting objects.
2. Frequent and intense meditation on disgusting objects.
3. Guarding the sense doors.
4. Moderation in eating.
5. Noble friendship with one who knows how to quell sense-desire.
6. Suitable conversation on the disadvantages of hedonism.
(from Anguttara Nikaya 5.36, Majjhima Nikaya 10, 145, Samyutta Nikaya 35.239, 45.2)
- The Complete Book of Buddha's Lists -- Explained. David N. Snyder, Ph.D., 2006.