Daitoku-ji

From Dhamma Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Daitoku-ji (大徳寺, Daitoku-ji?) is one of fourteen autonomous branches of the Rinzai school of Japanese Zen, founded in 1315 or 1319 by Shuho Myocho and located in Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan. Like many temples in Japan during that time, many of the temple's buildings were burned down. It was rebuilt in the 15th century by Ikkyū Sōjun, and the temple later became closely linked to masters of the Japanese tea ceremony—Sen no Rikyu and Kobori Enshu. There are several buildings in the complex, such as:

  • Sanmon (Mountain Gate)
  • Butsuden (Buddha Hall)
  • Hatto (Dharma Hall)
  • Hojo (Abbot's Quarters)
  • Yokushitsu (Bath House)
  • Kyozo (Sutra Library).

Daitoku-ji operates some twenty-two sub-temples, the most significant being Daisen-ji, Shinju-an (眞珠庵) and Juko-in (聚光院).