Dhamma Wiki also known as The Dhamma Encyclopedia is an effort to make Buddhist concepts and information available to anyone.
Using the same technology Wikipedia uses, Dhamma Wiki lets anyone suggest an article.
The official encyclopedia of The Dhamma website, a Buddhist encyclopedia. All traditions are welcome and anyone may suggest an article. E-mail david(at)TheDhamma(dot)com for any ideas you have for an article and it will be reviewed and may be added. All articles must first be e-mailed to avoid automatic bot vandalism (which has occurred in the past). All information here is provided free of charge and there is never any advertising of any commercial for-profit organizations or companies.
Dhamma refers to the teachings of the Buddha and Wiki is the term for encyclopedia type websites that use a software that allows for numerous pages interlinked to each other. Wiki is a Hawaiian term for 'quick' and thus Dhamma Wiki and Dharma Wiki are the perfect names for this website.
- September 27, 2008: Dr. David N. Snyder established Dhamma Wiki.
- November 2008: Over 1,000 articles
- January 2009: Dhamma Wheel is launched, a Theravada based online forum for discussing the Dhamma, including the discussion of Dhamma Wiki. Shortly thereafter Dharma Wheel is established too, a Mahayana based online forum for discussing the Dharma.
- October 2009: First anniversary of Dhamma Wiki and there are over 300,000 page views.
- May 2010: Dhamma Wiki has over Over ONE MILLION page views and becomes the most visited online Buddhist encyclopedia, from any tradition.
- November 2010: Over 10,000 articles
- April 2016: Over 10 MILLION page views
- June 2016: Dharma Paths (forum) is established, a pan-Dharma forum, also affiliated with this site and the other two forums.
- October 2017: Dharma Wiki category created to include specifically Mahayana and Vajrayana articles. The domain name Dharma.Wiki directs to that category.
- June 2018: Dharma Wheel Engaged is established, a pan-Dharma forum affiliated with the other forums mentioned above, focusing on politics and real world issues.
- October 2018: Over 100 MILLION page views