Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Occupation||Buddhist monk, founder and abbot of Bhavana Society|
|Known for||Buddhist teacher|
|Home town||West Virginia, USA|
Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, Ph.D. (1927- ) was born in Sri Lanka and ordained at the age of 12. He attended colleges and universities in Sri Lanka and the U.S., culminating in a Ph.D. degree. He is the founder and abbot of Bhavana Society in West Virginia, USA. He is one the leaders in Buddhism pushing for bhikkhuni reinstatement and he has personally ordained many women with the full ordination. He has written many bestselling Dhamma books and leads retreats around the world.
- The Path of Serenity and Insight. Motilal Banarsidass. 1985.
- The Jhanas in Theravada Meditation. Buddhist Publication Society. 1988.
- Mindfulness in Plain English. Wisdom Publications. 1992.
- Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path. Wisdom Publications. 2001.
- Journey to Mindfulness: The Autobiography of Bhante G. Wisdom Publications. 2003.
- Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English. Wisdom Publications. 2009.
- The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English. Wisdom Publications. 2012.
- See also: Henepola Gunaratana quotes