After graduating from Dartmouth College in 1967, he joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to the Public Health Service in northeast Thailand, which is home to several of the world's oldest Buddhist forest monasteries. Here he met the Buddhist master Ajahn Chah, who became Kornfield's teacher for many years. Upon returning to the United States in 1972, Kornfield co-founded the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts, with fellow meditation teachers Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein.
Jack Kornfield holds a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. He is also a founding teacher of the Spirit Rock Center in Woodacre, California, where he currently lives and teaches.
Kornfield has become one of the key teachers to introduce Theravada Buddhist practice to the West. For many years his work has focused on integrating and bringing alive the great Eastern spiritual teachings in an accessible way for Western students and Western society. His books, audio tapes and teachings have acted as an inspiration for countless Western students of Buddhism.
His books include Seeking the Heart of Wisdom, A Still Forest Pool, Stories of the Spirit, Stories of the Heart, the national bestseller A Path with Heart and After the Ecstasy the Laundry as well as a number of meditation and dharma audiotapes.
Jack Kornfield lectures were featured by Joe Frank on his radio series "The Other Side."
- The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology, 2008
- A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life, 1993
- Guided Meditation: Six Essential Practices to Cultivate Love, Awareness, and Wisdom, 2007
- After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path, 2001
- The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace, 2008
- Meditation for Beginners, 2008
- The Beginner's Guide to Forgiveness: Meditations and Practices for Releasing the Past and *Opening Your Heart (Beginner's), 2002
- Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation, 2001
- Buddha's Little Instruction Book, 1994
- Teachings of the Buddha, 2007
- A Path with Heart, 1993
- Soul Food: Stories to Nourish the Spirit and the Heart, 1996
- Buddhism for Beginners (Sounds True Audio Learning Course), 2005
- The Inner Art of Meditation, 1993
- Living Dharma, 1995
- Stories of the Spirit, Stories of the Heart, 1991
- Your Buddha Nature: Teachings on the Ten Perfections, 1998
- For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life, 2007
- See also: Jack Kornfield quotes